"It's 10pm - Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" is a phrase I remember vividly from my childhood. It seemed (and still does) that 10pm was the magic number for when the night turned sinister. It's also (most days) the time when I'm able to write. So, without further adieu I give you "It's 10pm".

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Vampire Weekend - Contra

I am currently listening to Vampire Weekend's new album, Contra. I think it's amazing. I realize I haven't written a post about music yet, and considering it's pretty late (for me), maybe this shouldn't be the first. However, I feel compelled to write. Give it a listen here:
http://www.myspace.com/vampireweekend

I believe the album comes out on Jan 12 so I am currently streaming it on MySpace (though NPR has it too). I honestly did not think it would be this good. There is a richness and depth to every song which I don't remember from their first album. And I liked that first album - a lot. I realize a lot of bands get hyped for 'new' sounds, 'mixing' sytles, etc. Who cares? If I think it sounds good and my ears like it, I'll listen. I like listening to this.

I don't think it's for everyone and can see how some people won't take to it. It's an often fast-paced, almost frantic race through songs. It's also powerful and tight.

I'm not a musician (though I pretend sometimes) and I'm not a critic (we've got enough), I'm just someone who likes music, and I've now listened to this twice.

Vampire Weekend has made the first great album of 2010 (at least, that I've heard). Thank you, sirs, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment