"It's 10pm - Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" is a phrase I remember vividly from my childhood. It seemed (and still does) that 10pm was the magic number for when the night turned sinister. It's also (most days) the time when I'm able to write. So, without further adieu I give you "It's 10pm".

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Guilt Rock

Yes, another post about music, so soon after my 'review' of Vampire Weekend's new album (which I still think is great!). I was recently listening to XM/Sirius (sorry FM radio) when, gulp, Panic! At the Disco came on. If you know me, you'd probably guess I don't like that band. And I'd probably tell you the same. However, I find that whenever they come on...I don't turn them off. Again, I'd probably never admit that I actually listen to Panic! At the Disco, and in reality I don't - I don't own any of their albums and can't imagine I will. But still, I listen. WHY? I don't know. There is something about their music I enjoy, and then I feel guilty that enjoy it, and I never admit it to anyone. It's like my dirty little secret. So, I've decided to classify bands like Panic! At the Disco (I don't even know if I spell that, capitalize it, or punctuate it correctly. Whatever).

I will now call this music Guilt Rock. I think we've all got bands we can put into the Guilt Rock category. For me, it's bands like Panic! At the Disco, My Chemical Romance, and Bush. I don't mean to insult anyone if they like those bands. Again, I listen to them - that's the whole point. But I'd never admit it to you! Does that make me shallow? Does that make me insincere? I don't know, maybe it does.

I think Guilt Rock has come about because we all have a vision of what we think we're supposed to like. My early music 'discovery' days consisted mainly of Classic Rock - Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, more Rush, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, and more Rush (I have my brothers to thank for this). Yes, I like Rush (and I still do. I saw them twice last year. Yes, twice!). Growing up with those bands spawned a bit of a 'holier than thou' attitude towards music. I wouldn't listen to 'new' bands. I didn't think anyone could make better music than already existed.

How sadly wrong I was. It wasn't until college that I got into Radiohead. It wasn't until I left college and moved to San Francisco that I discovered probably my favorite band of all time, Pavement. I was 22. Soon after I found Built to Spill and Modest Mouse. Wilco (and Uncle Tupelo) and Whiskeytown. The Pixies started blasting from my stereo. Blur became a regular in my car. Since then it's been a constant flow of 'discovering' new bands and new music. It's been wonderful. One of my favorite things now is finding a new band I think deserves my attention. I love The National. Iron & Wine is fantastic. Vampire Weekend has, I feel, earned my attention for 2010.

And yet, I still find my way back to Guilt Rock. Who doesn't love something that just 'sounds' good? Something you can sing along to? Panic! At the Disco sounds good to me. Bush, much as I can't stand saying it, has found a place in my musical heart. Every time I hear "Welcome to teh Black Parade" I sing like some 10 year old schoolgirl. Others I put in MY Guilt Rock file: Robbie Williams, John Mayer, and Nickelback.

Still, some bands don't make it to the Guilt Rock category. They just get turned off. Candlebox, I hate you. I blame FM radio back in the day. 30 Seconds to Mars? If your song "Kings & Queens" sounded anymore like Kings of Leon you'd have to change your name to the Queens of Leon.

So, enjoy ALL your music, and don't feel bad if you catch yourself singing along to "Angels" by Robbie Williams (though you should feel a little guilty).

No comments:

Post a Comment