"It's 10pm - Do You Know Where Your Children Are?" is a phrase I remember vividly from my childhood. It seemed (and still does) that 10pm was the magic number for when the night turned sinister. It's also (most days) the time when I'm able to write. So, without further adieu I give you "It's 10pm".

Monday, February 15, 2010

Satellite Radio

I'm going to start putting a song up that I like. Above is a new Massive Attack track.....

Over the past few years I've become a pretty big fan of satellite radio. For lack of a better name we'll call it XM from here on in (I will call it SIRIUS XM one time, that's it).

My first experience with XM came when I got a new car and XM was included for 6 months (I think it was 6 months). I remember liking it, but thinking that when it ran out I'd let it go, since I had good 'ol regular radio to see me through, along with my cds. So it expired. And I regretted it. I missed XMU. I missed Ethel (alternative). I missed the Jam (I think they've all since changed names). Talk radio. Blog radio. Sports. News. Everything. A real wonderland of sound - with only a sprinkling of DJs, and no advertisements.

I needed XM. I had received a 'special' renewal offer by letter shortly after the expiration, so I called the listed number. I think it was $13 for monthly, or $96 for the year (or something just below $100). I went with the year - and I haven't gone back since.

It's great and I think it's definitely worth the fee. In fact, you could say I pay twice, since I have DirecTV for my plasma, and it has some XM channels included. I guess maybe I should get a discount, but they'd probably argue that's a 'freebie'. So I use XM at home, too. I use it more than my iPod or my cd player. I suppose when my internet reeeally comes through the TV well enough, I could just tune stations in for free, but the connection doesn't seem quite there yet (I also have a Mac Mini going through my plasma and it's had some streaming problems). So far XM has been great to have in the family room.

Even my wife has recently discovered the Kids channel on XM in my car, and has now requested she get satellite in whatever new vehicle she winds up getting (leaning toward Honda Pilot...). I am more than happy to agree.

I'm sure there is still some great programming on regular radio. After all, there's always a market for something that's free. But I certainly understand the value of XM, and I think in the long run, as it gets into more vehicles at purchase, it'll become more of mainstay for a lot of people.

5 comments:

  1. Paying for radio is an alien concept here in the UK. Since we have state-paid radio with no adverts here for free, I can't see it catching on. I admit that the local radio with the annoying same 10 adverts cycled all day sucks, but you can always avoid it ;o)
    Oh, and the big "experiment" here was DAB radio - and the channels have been steadily closing ever since the launch. People don't want to pay a premium for a "better" service if they can get it (or close to it) for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Numpt - I thought as much. I actually think you'd love it, if you ever tried it. Hair Metal station. Deep Cuts. 60's. 70's. 80's. etc.

    Maybe the state run thing helps. However, I've listened to plenty of Radio 1, BBC, Capitol Radio, XFM etc, and while there aren't many adverts the DJs kill the experience. They talk over songs. They cut songs off. They laugh at each other's jokes when they aren't funny. They play the same songs over and over. It's just not that pleasurable.

    I think if you experienced XM you'd see it IS a better service, and you might even be inclined to pay for it. Maybe, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my XM. It gives you a nice introduction to bands I would not know about otherwise. I do have Evan to remind me who I should be paying attention to but I am still a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a last.fm man myself - its the first website I load up when I get to work and keep it on through the day - again, a freebie service here in the UK (although not sure if that's the same worldwide). It's introduced me to some new stuff which I like! Again, I can't stand the commercials or DJ's (unless its talk radio which I kind of like but I think that's age related now...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon - I don't know who you are but I knew I liked you.

    Dave - I haven't used Last.fm all that much. Have turned to lala.com. It's a cool concept - you can listen to most anything one time for free.

    FULL DISCLOSRE: This is all just a way for me to increase the share price of SIRI, which I bought yesterday at $.92. :)

    ReplyDelete